Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Anniversary

This last weekend Chad and I took a trip to Anchorage to celebrate our 8th anniversary which was really the 9th of September. We had a very generous friend who agreed to watch the girls for a 24 hour period and off we went. The B&B was very nice and private and had an awesome view of the ocean. We were also able to do a whirlwind shopping trip to stock up for the winter on some needed items, especially since I am not sure I will be making another trip to Anchorage before the baby is born. The nicest part of the trip besides spending alone time with Chad was the sun and the beautiful drive from Soldotna to Anchorage and back with the fall colors in full display. I had fun taking lots of pictures.
Fall has to be my most favorite time of year, just because I am a hopeless romantic and I like the rustic coziness that I feel inside as I breathe in the brisk cold air, and the thought of sipping hot chocolate, or in my case coffee, by a warm crackling fire. The smells of pumpkin spice and cinnamon and baking cookies all add to the experience and the thought of Thanksgiving and Christmas around the corner makes all the bad parts of winter melt away. I guess maybe that is how I deal with the impossible cold and extremely long dark days (which I am not even in the worst part of Alaska for, when you say goodbye to the sun in September and in 6 months you can say hello to it again!!!). For Chad I know that it sparks his senses because it marks a new season of hunting...even if he may not go as much he would like to or as often as he used to, in Alaska you really need a lot of money or a plane or both to get to the places where the nice big moose, deer, and bear live.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steph, I love coming to your house in the winter for all the reasons in your post. The crackling fire, smell of pumpkin and spice and always hot chocolate and coffee to share. You are an awsome hostess, I wouldn't survive winters without friends like you.