Thursday, September 01, 2011

Adventure #8 Camping in Hope

We had two days of sunny weather before the rain was to set in again and I wanted to go hiking or camping while I still could.  I really had wanted to hike a trail called Lost Lake, which is 15 miles long from one end to the other, but was not able to find anyone else to go with me.  I did have one friend who had wanted to hike Skyline trail again, but I decided that I wanted to take the kids camping instead.  Chad has been pretty busy getting the projects ready for another rental work group of 90 people so he was not able to come with us, which left me with the kids.  We went to the little town of Hope, which is a 90 minute drive from our house, and hiked a trail called Gull Rock that is 10+ miles round trip (we ended up doing 3 miles), and then we went to our campsite at the end of Main St.  We played by the river/ocean and the girls tried to rescue dying silver salmon that had spawned already and were half dead anyway.  The river rises and lowers with the tide and so on low tide the little pools of water fill up with these half dead fish and as the water leaves it also leaves lots of dead fish around the rocks until the tide comes back in and washes them away only to start the process all over again! So while it was low tide the kids were throwing the fish that were still alive in these little pools back into the river.....:)  It at least kept them busy for a while!  We also walked around the town a little looking at the old historical buildings before we went to the cafe to have dinner.  Then we built our fire and played a little more before bedtime.  Now because I was camping with the kids by myself I decided to "camp" in our suburban, which worked out ok, but Emma got sick and was heading to the bathroom every 5 minutes.  So after a few hours of this, and it being pitch black outside, we headed home, and finally got everyone settled into their own bed by 2am.  So all in all it was a great adventure and we have many great memories that we will take from it!  I am still continuously in awe of God's amazing creation and feel so blessed that I get to live in this every day. 

Tern Lake





The start to Gull Rock Hike












At our campsite looking across turnagain arm to the mountains and cars passing by.


Old historic cabin in Hope on Main St.

Someones house, but I liked the red and the windows :)
I love this style of fencing.

The girls being goofy!


Road to somewhere....


The spot where we had our campfire.


Seaview Cafe is where we paid for our campsite, and had a nice dinner there too!


Downy Woodpecker

Tide is in with sunset and covers up what was once all grassy a few hours ago.

No comments: