Thursday, April 01, 2010

Gold Nugget Triathlon

This is my favorite race to do, not that I have done a ton of them, but it is very low key and just a fun day all around! The hardest part is getting into the race. Every year on the 1st of April the racers wait for the time (most years it is at 12:01 am on the 1st, but this year they changed it to 8pm on the 1st) of the opening of registration and then type as fast as they can to enter. Last year 1400 people entered the race in less than 8 hours....today it filled up in less than 2 and they have allowed 1500 to sign up this year! At 8:45pm I was sitting on my couch when I saw the writing on my hand ( I put that there to remind me to register at 8!) .....I looked at Chad and jumped off the couch exclaiming that I would be too late! I ran to my computer and of course it was loading slower than usual. I sat frantic as I waited for the page to load. I clicked on Entry at the top of the Page and then I clicked on the button "enter the gold nugget" and nothing happened. I clicked and clicked and nothing was happening. At the bottom left of the Page I got the error on page sign and now I was really anxious! I jumped up and turned on our laptop hoping that that would work better, but it was loading even slower and read the same. As I was calling a friend to see if she got in, I realized that the registration spot was at the bottom of the home page!!! AHHH, was all I could say :) I got in with only 278 spots left. When I had started there were 698 spots. In a 15 minute span 400 spots slipped away!! That is how crazy this race is. The neat thing about the race is that it is only for women. You can do it at your own pace and nobody knows if you are last or first. We each have a chip band and that is how they keep track of every one's times and the race starts at 8am for the elite racers and finishes at around 3pm for the rest of us! You can race with your daughters or a team or with friends or by yourself! You can have a great time and meet lots of new people while you are on your little journey. The swim is 10 laps/500yards, bike 13 miles, and run 3.1 miles and a feeling of accomplishment when you are finished, but maybe that comes from any race! All I know is that I love it and I am glad that I got in :)....Now time to step up the training!

No comments: